Five Budget-Friendly Skincare Tips
Having gorgeous, youthful skin does not have to cost an arm and a leg. Often I have patients at our Reno dermatology office who are surprised to learn that many of our top recommended treatments and products cost much less than they anticipated.
Here is a list of the top five budget-friendly ways you can improve your skin’s appearance:
1. Daily use of sunscreen is the cornerstone of skin care. It not only can undo some of the signs of sun damage, but will also in prevent further damage. Sun screen is relatively inexpensive and is by far the most budget friendly product one can use to improve the health and appearance of the skin. Of all sunscreens available I particularly love the product called Elta MD Facial. This creamy and hydrating lotion has SPF 30+ which contains zinc, a physical sunblock. The price of a 4ounce container, which should last several months, is only $28.
2. Glycolix Body Lotion. In this dry climate I also recommend the Glycolix Body Lotion for use as a body moisturizer. It can be used once or twice a day and contains alpha-hydroxy-acid glycolic acid, an exfoliator which rids the body of the top dead layer of skin allowing the moisturizing component to penetrate deeper, thus providing more hydration than a moisturizer without an exfoliant. The cost for a 12 ounce bottle of Glycolix is $36.40.
3. Lip protection. We often also forget much needed protection for our lips from the ravages of sun and wind, but this is one of the first areas that can show skin damage. A great value for lip protection is the Elta MD Lip Balm, a hydrating lip balm with SPF 30 and which costs a mere $10 for a .28 ounce container. I like to apply this product in the morning before putting on lipstick and I reapply it several times a day when outdoors skiing, snowboarding or hiking. This particular product is also water resistant, an obvious benefit.
4. Anti-Aging Night Cream. There are several bedtime products but the one I prefer is Replenix Restorative Night Cream. It feels silky and smooth, has a pleasant light scent and contains a number of anti-aging components, including antioxidants, ceramides, peptides and phyto stem cells. At $66 for a 2 ounce container it may seem somewhat pricey, but is in fact quite budget friendly being as the 2 ounces should last a month or more.
5. Botox. Finally, an affordable injectable anti-wrinkle treatment that will provide the most noticeable improvement in smoothing wrinkles is of course Botox. It is generally used on the most common wrinkled areas which are around the eyes, also called crow’s feet, between the eyes, and on the forehead. The effects of Botox last from 2 to 6 months and the cost depends on both the area being treated and your personal anatomy. This is because Botox smoothes wrinkles by relaxing the muscles, therefore the stronger the facial muscles are in the area treated, the more solution is required.
If you’re looking for cost effective ways to improve the appearance of your skin, the above are my picks. If you’re looking for a tailored skincare approach, visit Janiga MDs for a consultation and we can help devise a plant to fit your skin and budget.