Five Ways to Get Youthful Glowing Skin
Five Ways to Get Youthful Glowing Skin
As a Reno dermatologist I’m often asked by my patients how they can have youthful glowing skin. While I wish there was a quick fix, the truth is to keep your skin looking youthful, you’ll need the foundation of these five things prior to even thinking about product.
In order to get that glowing appearance every one desires, you have to have a cohesive, comprehensive skincare routine in place before you venture into various anti-aging treatments and products. After you’ve implemented the five tips below, you can start a great anti-aging regimen (my next blog post is all about anti-aging tips!).
Five Ways to Get Glowing Skin
1. Cleanse the face with a soap free cleanser. This removes makeup and daily dirt without stripping the skin of its oils. Just like keeping our hair healthy, washing and drying the face out too much or too harshly can work to our disadvantage. My favorite cleansers are Skin Medica Facial Cleanser, Glycolix Elite Cleanser, Replenix Gentle Antioxidant Soothing Cleanser (we carry these three), and for an over the counter version try Neutrogena’s Fresh Foaming Cleanser.
2. Get enough sleep. When we are overly tired our eyes are swollen and our skin looks ruddy. We all know what this looks and feels like, and it isn’t pretty! Make sure you get at least eight hours of sleep to help your face look refreshed.
3. Hydration, hydration, hydration. Keep your skin hydrated by drinking water and using a great moisturizer morning and night.
People always ask me if drinking water will help their skin, and my answer is yes, drinking eight glasses of water a day does help the skin and the body but we also need to hydrate our skin from the outside. Especially those of us living in a dry climate like Reno Sparks and Tahoe area, the humidity is very low and our skin can dry out very easily.
Find a great thick night moisturizer that you love and are willing to wear on a daily basis. There are many available out there, and although you can spend a great deal of money on a facial moisturizer, if you find something that works you don’t always need to spend a lot. I like Skin Medica Ultra Sheer Moisturizer and TNS Ceramide Treatment Cream, Replenix Green Tea Mousturizing Lotion, and for an over the counter version try Oil of Olay Active Hydrating Cream.
Apply a thick moisturizer at night and a moisturizing sunscreen or light moisturizer in the morning prior to applying our makeup. This will help keep the skin hydrated and mask those fine lines.
4. Wear high-quality age-appropriate makeup. Some of us make the mistake of applying a makeup that settles into our fine lines. The powder foundations are especially guilty of this, however there are some ways to apply even a powder foundation to help it lay a little bit nicer on the skin.
A primer is a product that can be applied either before or after your foundation to help it from settling so deep.
I recommend meeting with a makeup artist who can help you with the right shades of concealer, locations of concealer application, selecting the right make up for your skin and even selecting a good primer to help keep it from settling. At Janiga MDs we work with a few make up artists in town, like Jessica Hodges at Hello Darlings.
5. Exfoliate! There are many ways to exfoliate the skin including facial peels with an an esthetician, topical retinoids, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, derma-planning, or use of a Clarisonic cleansing wand to name a few.
Keeping the skin gently exfoliated will allow your medications and anti-aging products to penetrate better, allow your moisturizer to hydrate better, your sunscreen to be absorbed, and your make up too lay a little bit nicer and settle less in those fine lines.
At Janiga MDs we offer facial peels with our esthetician, topical retinoids as product, and dermaplaning with our esthetician.
There you have it! Follow these five steps and you’ll be well on your way to having that youthful glowing skin every one craves.
Stay tuned next month for our recommendations on anti-aging products. In the meantime get these implemented, find some moisturizers and make ups that you love so you’re ready to move to the next steps.
~ Dr. Jennifer Janiga